Susan Knell of the Zero Waste steering committee has joined a number of Terracycle “brigades,” collection programs for different items that are sponsored by a manufacturer of that product (though in the following brigades, most of the items can be from any brand).
The following five categories* (see photos below) can be dropped off in the ZERO WASTE COLLECTION BIN located once again at the Marge Williams Center, 221 Winslow Way West.
- Empty writing instruments
- Dried-out or empty glue sticks
- Water color dispensers, paint sets, and the packaging for those items – any brand
Note: no Wite-Out
Oral care supplies:
- Manual toothbrushes and outer packaging
- Dental floss containers
- Empty toothpaste tubes and caps – any brand
Electric toothbrushes, battery toothbrushes, and/or their parts are not accepted for recycling through the program.
#6 plastic cups (like red Solo cups):
Look for the number 6 in the chasing arrow. This type of cup tends to crack when squeezed hard (versus the more flexible #1 cups) – any brand
Food storage containers:
Non single-use plastic and glass food storage containers – any brand
Brita products only:
- Faucet systems
*Though not part of the Terracycle program, Zero Waste is also collecting the following:
- CDs and DVDs with or without jewel cases (no paper) – Place in the bin. If there are too many to fit in the bin, put your container next to the bin and email Diane Landry asap to let her know to pick up.
- Plastic corrugated signs – Place out of sight behind the bin. These signs will be reused by an islander in an insulation project.